[Sca-cooks] Freezing cider

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 22 21:14:18 PST 2002

On 22 Nov 2002, at 20:40, Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Brighid ni Chiarain commented:
> > On 19 Nov 2002, at 23:18, Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamant wrote:
> >> I think Brighid is thinking of using it for a sauce for her feast in
> >> January???
> >
> > Yep.  It's one of the sauces for the ham.
>
> Oooh. This sounds good. Perhaps I'll make this for the holidays. Can
> you post the original and your redaction?

You can find it here:
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-FRUITS/fruit-apples-msg.html

> >> Since [I think] it involves reducing the cider, maybe you
> >> could boil it down a bit, until it's mostly done, then put it back in
> >> one or two bottles, and freeze it? Just leave a a little room in the
> >> bottle, and don't cap it until it's frozen.
> >
> > I'm not sure that will work.  The sauce is made by combining cider,
> > sugar, and whole spices (plus a little wine and vinegar), and boiling
> > it down to half volume.  The spices flavor the sauce, and are then
> > strained out; the sugar creates a syrup that is the consistency of
> > honey when it cools.
> So, why do you think that this wouldn't freeze well? Is it a problem
>
> with sugar solutions not freezing? Even if it stays slushy, I'd think
> it would still be cold enough to preserve it. Seperation? If it did,
> couldn't you just mix it together again after you thaw it?

Master Adamantius was misremembering the steps in the recipe,
and proposed that I boil down the cider alone, freeze it, then thaw
the reduced cider and make sauce with it.  That would not work.
Freezing the sauce might, and I will probably give it a try.

> Hmmm. This sauce might be good on duck, as well as ham, and I still
>
> have a frozen duck in the freezer.

I imagine it would go well with duck.

Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
rcmann4 at earthlink.net