[Sca-cooks] Cooking with youngsters was Wow, a day of it's own!

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Sat Nov 23 20:08:13 PST 2002

I would take them to the public library or bookstore and check out the
cookbooks for kids area. Then either borrow or buy some that appeal to
them. I am very traditional in that I think that children (and adults
for that matter) ought to be able to cook from a regular recipe and
follow its instructions before they are turned loose with medieval foods
and recipes. There are things that they can do like use the mortar for
grinding pepper or spices. My son grew up with lots of culinary
magazines laying around and I can remember he would routinely go through
Gourmet and Bon Appetit and pick out pictures of various foods that I
should make. He was extremely upset when I duplicated the sundae on the
front of the one issue and dared to substitute a strawberry for the red
cherry. He was 2 1/2.

This is a great time of year for gingerbread houses. They make great
projects and both of your girls should be able to help.

Johnnae llyn Lewis   Johnna Holloway

Amanda Blackwolf wrote:>snipped what would be the easiest and safest way
to teach my children
about period cooking and feasts?