[Sca-cooks] Cooking with youngsters was Wow, a day of it's own!

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Sun Nov 24 05:44:00 PST 2002

In a message dated 11/23/2002 11:12:24 PM Eastern Standard Time,
johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu writes:

> I am very traditional in that I think that children (and adults
> for that matter) ought to be able to cook from a regular recipe and
> follow its instructions before they are turned loose with medieval foods
> and recipes.

Why, considering the number of easily available medieval sources that have
pre-redacted recipes in them?  I could understand it if there was nothing
available but the originals with their characteristic lack of detail, but
between what's available from Cariadoc and other SCAdians, and commercial
books, there are hundreds of recipes that are now adapted to modern levels.
I don't understand how these are any different than what you might find in
Joy of Cooking, or Gourmet magazine.
There's lady in my shire who described herself as having been "thrown out of
lots of kitchens" mundanely, who is actually learning to cook by coming to
redacting parties and working her way through the originals with help.  She
has recently gotten brave enough to bring something she cooked herself to a
potluck, which she would never have even considered before starting with the
redacting days.

Brangwayna Morgan