[Sca-cooks] period appetizers

Jim Fox-Davis firedrake at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 24 10:32:16 PST 2002

Here's one version that I'm using in the same course, that really comes
out quite like the modern "Deep Friend Mozzarella Sticks". The text is
directly from Scully.

Pipesfarces/"Pipe Stuffings"

The English name of this dish is an instance of an original having lost
something in the translation. Pipesfarces somehow creates a more graphic
image of the finished dish than the crude and cumbersome "Pipe
Stuffings," as close to literal as this translation may be. When the
cheese (or bone marrow) is encased in batter and deep-fried, the result
is of a golden tube with a stuffing inside. Pipesfarces, really, rather
than "Pipe Stuffings." But delightful by any name.

The Viandier includes this recipe after a recipe for crêpes and suggests
serving them with the crêpes. A "fat" cheese (that is, a butter cheese)
is suggested in the original recipe. Colby works well.

The Menagier suggests using bone marrow pressed into finger-sized pieces
as an alternative to the cheese. These are a bit tricky to handle, as
the bone marrow disintegrates quickly in the hot fat and makes for
rather messy cooking. We have found that crumbling pieces of marrow into
the coating mixture then dropping small amounts into the hot grease
works better than trying to coat the longer finger-sized pieces of marrow.

Pork fat is stipulated as the cooking medium. Oil or lard can be
substituted.

As for the crêpes with which the Pipe Stuffings are served, the
Viandier's recipe does not differ substantially from a modern one, so
you may choose to prepare your favorite recipe.

Ingredients (serves 20)
6-8 oz. Fat Cheese
2 egg yolks
4 t all-purpose flour
1/2 t salt
2 T wine
1 c cooking oil or lard

Directions: Slice cheese into finger-sized pieces. Beat egg yolks with
fork. Add flour and salt a little at a time to form a smooth paste. Thin
batter with sufficient wine to make a "dripping" consistency. Dip cheese
slices into batter & fry a few at a time until golden brown. Remove with
slotted spoon, drain on paper or linen toweling. Keep warm until all
pieces have cooked.

Serving suggestion: Serve warm as appetizers.