[Sca-cooks] Re: taking leftovers home

Liadan Liadan at sbcglobal.net
Mon Nov 25 08:54:40 PST 2002

Master Adamantius:

I try not to bring my own leftovers home.  I have gotten into the habit
of using inexpensive dishes purchased at garage sales and the like, so
there is not a lot of money or sentimental value in the dishes.  I do,
however, like to bring my host/hostess's leftovers home, if I liked
them.  My family always overcooks, so I often take the cheap Ziploc
containers and bring things home that way.  (Never let anyone talk you
into putting mashed potatoes into a Ziploc BAG!) I may be weird, but it
bothers me to see the meaty ham bone get thrown in the trash.

If I'm going outside of my family, I still take the containers, but they
stay in the car until after the meal.  Then if the hostess asks if I
would like to take anything home, I can say certainly and go get the
containers.

I usually take something to gift my hostess, usually something home
canned or baked.  There are too many recovering alcoholics in my
extended family to take a bottle of wine.

Liadan

*P.S.: Can anyone explain to me (and I know we've also had this
discussion here before), maybe I should say, can anyone give me a
compelling argument in support of either A) taking your leftovers
home with you, or B) --to be fair-- not taking your leftovers home
with you?