[Sca-cooks] Cooking with youngsters was Wow, a day of it's own!

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Mon Nov 25 17:46:22 PST 2002

So how many people do cut up their own meat these days?
It's perhaps not butchering but cutting up chickens is not all that hard
a skill. We expect people to be able carve at table as they did in
medieval times, but we don't expect the cooks to be able to cut up a
bird.

What skill set do we expect people who cook at our events to have?

Johnnae llyn Lewis  Johnna Holloway
[And in this case it was a real matter of money that wasn't being saved
by buying the chickens whole and cutting them up.
There was a chicken stew on the menu that would have done nicely by
having tossed in it all the wings and backs. The budget was less than 3
dollars per person for food.]