[Sca-cooks] Re: OOP - Turkey, again!

Ciorstan ciorstan at attbi.com
Mon Nov 25 19:22:57 PST 2002

Rosine wrote:>

>   Does anyone know how to cook it _not too much_? Every year, my turkey
>falls apart when my husband tries to lift it out of the pan. Meat falls off
>the bone.

Use the thermometer rather than the so-much-time-per-pound rule.

What I do to prevent dried out breast, by the way, is roast the bird in
a pan upside down until all but the last half hour or so. I also baste
the bird with its own juices every 15 minutes; the first squirts of
basting juice is some of the broth from the neck stewing on the stove,
which in turn becomes gravy later on.

It's a hassle turning over the bird, but the breast is perfect every
time-- and since it's basted twice before coming out of the oven to
rest, the skin is crispy, golden-brown and delish.

ciorstan
(really looking forward to 'leftover sandwiches'-- homemade bread, mayo,
cold turkey, stuffin', a little salt and some o' that cranberry sauce)