[Sca-cooks] Re: OOP - Turkey, again!

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Tue Nov 26 07:24:24 PST 2002

Also sprach Signora Apollonia Margherita degli Albizzi:
>So you just keep checking the temp of the bird, like every hour?
>
>Apollonia

Towards the end (like when the temp gets up over 110-120 degrees F),
you probably want to shorten that interval considerably, like to
maybe every twenty minutes, and finally, every ten.

I know Gunthar had recommended testing the breast meat at around 130
degrees, IIRC, and I assume you'd be relying on carry-over cooking to
finish the job. I prefer to test the thigh, and look for about 150.
It does cook the bird more than the other method, but even after
carry-over heat (you know, where the surface heat penetrates the
inside of the bird and it continues to cook as it cools) I'd be
concerned about vagaries of mass and there being no guarantee of the
temp having reached above 157 (that being the magic number for
killing salmonella). Also, turkey has more connective tissue than
chicken, and it can stand to be well-done without actually drying out
totally.

Adamantius