[Sca-cooks] sugar substitutes, may be off topic

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Tue Nov 26 12:15:11 PST 2002

At 02:40 PM 11/26/02 -0500, you wrote:

>there is a new-ish sugar substitute out there called "Diabetisweet" it is
>sold in the Walmart, some supermarkets, and by mail....it is .. Acesulfame K
>and has NO Nutrasweet in it.
>it can be baked with and while it is a tad expensive, it actually *cooks*
>like sugar.
>i have made cookies with it.  it doesnt leave an after taste.

Are you kidding me?
Ace-K has been around for awhile, as I found after I had an unpleasant
experience with it earlier this year. I thought it tasted vile and did have
a distinct aftertaste, at least when used in a drink. They use the same
potassium salts to make the fake salt you see in the diet section. Bleah
bleah!I don't know about cooking with it.

I do agree with your about Nutrasweet. I don't like it and one soda is
enough to lay me out flat with a migraine.

Hey Stefan- is any of teh the sugar/fake sugar stuff in your files? We've
talked this one to death before, haven't we?

'Lainie