[Sca-cooks] First Turkey Jitters--Brine it!!!

Avraham haRofeh goldberg at bestweb.net
Tue Nov 26 15:40:26 PST 2002

ABSOLUTELY!!! Brine it in a garbage bag if you don't
have a pot large enough to do it. There is some
chemical reaction that happens using salt that makes
the meat 'ambrosial'. I've had moist tender turkey
ever since I found the joys of salting the bird, no
matter how cheap the bird.

It's not a matter of chemistry as much as a matter of physics. When you put
meat in an osmotically dense solution (that is, a liquid with more "stuff"
dissolved in it than the intracellular fluid), water flows into the cells,
plumping them up and making it juicy. Some of the "stuff" dissolved in the
brine (salt, sugar, flavoring agents like spices) flows in with the liquid,
flavoring the meat. The meat will not be "salty", it will just taste better.

Avraham

Avraham haRofeh of Northpass
     (mka Randy Goldberg MD)
RandomTag: The degree to which someone is wary of their own culture is
proportional to the degree to which I respect them. - Karl Faustus von
Aachen, "Silverwing's Laws"

---