[Sca-cooks] steirbach holiday fair

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Nov 26 16:01:41 PST 2002

Kirsten commented:
> now bread is.. well. bread.. the basic recipe hasnt changed much.  but is
> there a lot of documentation on flavored breads? on bread with seeds or
> other additions?

The answer to this is likely to depend upon what time frame you are
talking about as well as how broadly you define "breads". Are you
including pastries? Are you talking about things like pictoral and
descriptive evidence? Or just bread recipes?
If I remember correctly, Bear has pointed out that there are less than
a dozen surviving period bread recipes.
You might want to look through some of the files in the FOOD-BREADS
section of the Florilegium and particularly this file:

bread-msg        (185K)  9/19/01    Medieval breads and grains.

> i also noticed,when i finally got a few minutes to leave my booth, that
> there was a whole STAND full of honey at the other end of the room.  i went
> kinda berserk and bought the gallon jar of Rasberry honey.. so i am *quite*
> interested in honey recipes!

Mead.

Mead-Mkng-Tps-art  (9K)  9/10/02    "Mead Making Tips" by Byron Whited.

 (oops. it's not there. I'll see about getting this uploaded)
mead-msg         (168K)  7/ 3/00    Making mead. Honey based alcoholic beverage.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/BEVERAGES/mead-msg.html

Candy, such as the pine-nut brittle stuff.
candy-msg        (188K) 11/16/01    Period candy. Recipes. Candied fruit peels.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/candy-msg.html
Pynade-art        (32K) 11/24/01    "Pynade (Medieval Candy)" by Lady
Constance de LaRose.

Period gingerbread:
gingerbread-msg   (45K)  2/26/02    Medieval gingerbread. Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/gingerbread-msg.html

Probably other pastries and desserts. See the FOOD-SWEETS section.

marmalades or fruit pastes?
marmalades-msg    (60K)  5/17/02    Period marmalades and fruit jellies and jams
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/marmalades-msg.html
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas         StefanliRous at austin.rr.com