[Sca-cooks] sugar substitutes (Mostly Aspartame, but not totally)

Avraham haRofeh goldberg at bestweb.net
Tue Nov 26 15:55:41 PST 2002

> I've also heard the conspiracy-theory accusation that it "turns into
> formaldehyde" when you ingest it...and you know what?  It strikes me as
> something that's probably true in a literal sense - I seem to recall
> that similarly poisonous wood alcohol is a natural byproduct (in small
> amounts, obviously) of amino acid metabolism, and formaldehyde is a
> similar molecule.  If it is true, then, once again ANY protein-containing
> food will "turn into formaldehyde" when you eat it...and the body IS
> prepared to deal with it in "natural" amounts.  I'm convinced this got
> turned into a bit of handy fear-mongering by somebody wanting to drum up
> sales for his or her "The Man(tm) is out to poison you" book...

It is true. Formaldehyde and methanol are, in minute quantities, normal
byproducts of metabolism. Your body will produce more formaldehyde from the
carbohydrate and protein in one medium orange than it will from the amount
of aspartame in two cans of diet soda.

> Splenda is good stuff.  Less aftertaste than aspartame has, at least to my
> taste buds.  I had always wondered about its heat-stability, though ,
since it
> doesn't seem to do much in my hot tea.  (Oh, Splenda(tm) - generic name
> "Sucralose", is the "halogenated organic compound" I mentioned before,
too...)

Splenda has a distinct, unpleasant aftertaste for me. I don't much care for
it.

> Saccharine's nasty.  I think the health concerns are grossly overblown for
the
> small amounts normally consumed by people, but it tastes DISGUSTING to
me...

Yes, and yes (it's not as unsafe as people think, and it tastes AWFUL).

Avraham

Avraham haRofeh of Northpass
     (mka Randy Goldberg MD)
RandomTag: A brute kills for pleasure. A fool kills from hate. - [Lazarus
Long]

---