[Sca-cooks] Sucralose

El Hermoso Dormido ElHermosoDormido at dogphilosophy.net
Tue Nov 26 17:01:48 PST 2002

On Tuesday 26 November 2002 04:15 pm, Daniel Myers wrote:
>  From what I've read, sucralose is substantially more heat and acid
> stable than aspartame, and it's excreted in an unaltered form.  There's
> at least one diet hot chocolate mix that uses it, and it tastes pretty
> good.

For some odd reason, it still seems to be less effective in my tea.  Then
again, maybe it's something in the tea that's interfering with its flavor.
It doesn't taste DIFFERENT, it just doesn't seem to sweeten the tea as much
as I would expect.

Certainly, the stuff is, in my opinion, great in cold drinks.  I know the
"Diet Rite" brand sodas, as well as Diet RC Cola, use it.

> The health concerns are even more overblown that you think.  Recently
> (I think it was last year) a study was done replicating the original
> rat study, and they realized that the strain of rats used in the
> original study were highly susceptible to stomach cancer.  When they
> redid the work with a different strain of rat there was no difference
> in cancer rates between the control and experimental groups.

I DO remember hearing that the scientist who'd done the original study
HIMSELF felt the study was flawed and the results mis-read by those
worrying about cancer from saccharine...