[Sca-cooks] sugar substitutes (Mostly Aspartame, but not totally)

Daniel Myers doc at medievalcookery.com
Tue Nov 26 15:15:07 PST 2002

On Tuesday, November 26, 2002, at 05:42 PM, El Hermoso Dormido wrote:

[snip]

> Splenda is good stuff.  Less aftertaste than aspartame has, at least
> to my
> taste buds.  I had always wondered about its heat-stability, though ,
> since it
> doesn't seem to do much in my hot tea.  (Oh, Splenda(tm) - generic name
> "Sucralose", is the "halogenated organic compound" I mentioned before,
> too...)

 From what I've read, sucralose is substantially more heat and acid
stable than aspartame, and it's excreted in an unaltered form.  There's
at least one diet hot chocolate mix that uses it, and it tastes pretty
good.

> Saccharine's nasty.  I think the health concerns are grossly overblown
> for the
> small amounts normally consumed by people, but it tastes DISGUSTING to
> me...

The health concerns are even more overblown that you think.  Recently
(I think it was last year) a study was done replicating the original
rat study, and they realized that the strain of rats used in the
original study were highly susceptible to stomach cancer.  When they
redid the work with a different strain of rat there was no difference
in cancer rates between the control and experimental groups.

- Doc