[Sca-cooks] Re: sugar substitutes

Anne duBosc anne_du_bosc at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 26 17:25:46 PST 2002

All these years I've been avoiding foods containing sorbitol because I was under the impression that the body processes it the same way it processes glucose, so it's really not that good an idea for a diabetic to eat it thinking they are avoiding high blood sugar.  Am I wrong?
For the most part, I avoid anything with artificial sweeteners.  (except my Diet Coke.) I find the taste almost universally yuckky.  When I am watching what I eat, I simply cut down on the amounts, and eat a well balanced diet, using everyday foods, and counting calories, carbs, proteins, and fats.  When I am not watching my diet, I just eat everything, and a lot of it.  I've been dieting off and on for over 40 years, and have probably lost two or three people's worth of weight doing it.  Unfortunately, the only thing that seems to really work is a REALLY low calorie diet, and huge amounts of exercise.  I've had rebound syndrome most of my life, and when I diet, my body thinks it's starving (because it is) and my metabolism slows wayyyy down, so it takes a lot of exercise to burn off the weight.  It doesn't help at all that I am exceedingly lazy.
I have to get in shape before Estrella, or I won't make it through it.  Got the results back from my most recent glycolated hemoglobin test.  Blood sugars have been averaging 318 for the last three months.  Not good numbers.  Cholesterol numbers are way down, though.  Under 200 for the first time I can remember.
Doctor is trying me on a new kind of anti-diabetic in addition to my insulin.  Something called rosiglitazone maleate, brand name Avandia.  I wish I still believed a magic pill could save me.
Mordonna
El ermoso Dormido <ElHermosoDormido at dogphilosophy.net> wrote:
And, of course, if you're only worried about blood-sugar levels rather than
calories, there's the various sugar alcohols - Sorbitol, Mannitol, Xylitol,
Maltilol, etc. To me, Sorbitol has a slightly funny taste, but Xylitol's not
bad.

signed,
El Hermoso Dormido, Mad Food Scientist in Training

Lady Anne du Bosc
Known as Mordonna The Cook
Atenveldt, Atenveldt
mundanely Pat Griffin