[Sca-cooks] Stevia

kattratt kattratt at charter.net
Tue Nov 26 19:33:34 PST 2002

Ok as someone who has some in the cabinet I would like to point out on
or 2 things about it....
Stevia is Good for someone avoiding commercial sugars and substitutes as
it is not processed in the same manner.
It is very grassy tasting but if used with caution then it tastes
better.  I do not recommend it straight at all!!   If you want to get
that taste then go grab some old grass clippings.
Here is our recommended doses...
Tea- 1 cup (Coffee cup size not the little demitasse thing...) wet your
finger tip slightly, stick into the stevia, brush off most of the stuff
and then brush the remainder into the tea.  We are talking a very
miniscule amount here.
Tea- The whole pot.  Or even a gallon jug Use a pinch of stevia. (Small
pinch to start add a touch more if desired)
Spaghetti - Ok now this really is good in Spaghetti.  For about a gallon
of sauce I use a pinch (Once again a small pinch) ((Hey I got small
fingers)) This cuts the acid of the tomatoes better than cinnamon or
sugar.
Lemonade- gallon jug, pinch of stevia, once again tiny pinch then add
after it has mixed. BTW this is not packaged lemonade it is honest to
goodness real lemons cut,squished, juiced, etc... add water and the
little pinch of stevia.
Coffee- See the tea comment for one cup.
Coffee- Pot Same as the tea.
We tried cookies, they didn't work but I think it is because we didn't
soak the stevia in the liquid but dumped it in the dry ingredients.  I
think it should go into the water/milk and steep.  (OR whatever you call
"Letting it be absorbed")  Hmm maybe it's called set or sit?
Anyways .....
Applesauce- uhm well I peeled about 12 apples, cored them, and then
popped into the food processor to pulverise them.  Added a pinch of
stevia and some cinnamon and it was great.

So basically I am saying that I use it very sparingly... I mean I have
had this jar for about hmmm.....  been married 10 years, she went off
sugar her first year at the show.... Geezzz that is an old bottle.... 11
years now.  I think that I am about 3/4 of the way through it.  Still
tastes just as nasty straight but still tastes great mixed with the
others...

Just my 2 cents worth.
Nichola