[Sca-cooks] Thank you to the SCA Cooks

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Nov 26 20:08:04 PST 2002

Brangwayna Morgan replied to me with:
>> The Lebanese baloney has taste and
>> character, not just simply overly pulverized mystery meat. I think it
>> is from Lebanon, Ohio or some such though and not a Middle East import.
>
> Hmmm. Perhaps you mean *Lebanon* bologna, which is made in my shire, in
> Lebanon, PA?  (Which is, by the way, pronounced roughly "Leb'nin", not like
> the country.)  Do you like the sweet or the regular?  I prefer sweet, myself.
I'm not sure which type I've had. These were what was in the deli

department at my local HEB store. As mentioned previously I would
have considered these salamies rather than bologna, but perhaps this
is because my previous experience with bologna has been the stuff
from Oscar Meyer. The meat I like had distinct chunks of fat and red
meat and peppercorns etc.
There were two types/brands in the HEB deli, one by a small brand and
one by Boar's Head. I liked the other brand better and it was a little
cheaper. Now they only seem to carry the Boar's Head stuff.

Now that you mention it, perhaps both of these were the sweet

version as there was a distinct taste to the meat, which is different
from the salami that I've had.

Knowing now that there are two types of this Lebanon bologna I will have

to get a closer look at the label on the outside of the casing. I was
originally just going by the label in front of the display case which
simply said "Lebanon Bologna". I didn't even know there were two
brands until I asked for "1/2 pound of Lebanon Bologna" and the
clerk asked me which brand. I've simply asked for the stuff. With my
eyesight and the fact that the links are stored in the case end towards
the glass and the customer, I hadn't tried to actually read the label
on the sausage.

    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas         StefanliRous at austin.rr.com