[Sca-cooks] Units of measure question - Italian, 15th c.

Louise Smithson helewyse at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 27 05:42:00 PST 2002

Howdy,

A friend of mine is transcribing & annotating dye
recipes from the
Segreti per Colori (15th c. manuscript), and has come
across 5 italian
renaissance liquid measures that she'd not seen before
(me either).
Can anyone here identify these and provide reasonable
modern
equivalents.  As a guess, I'd translate "bocale" as
mouthful and
petitto as "little bit", but I know pretty much squat
about Italian -
modern or otherwise.

> A bocale "4 bocali of water"
> A foglietta "one foglietta of vinegar"
> A petitto "and 24 petitti of water"
> A mettadella "with two metadelle of water for each
ounce of verzino"
> A fogliecto "add a fogliecto of boiled ley"

Thanks,

- Doc

Doc,
This is what I could come up with from my sources.
Hope it is helpful, the only one I couldn’t pin was
the petitto.