[Sca-cooks] sugar substitutes, may be off topic

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Wed Nov 27 05:52:25 PST 2002

The sugar cane we use originates in Northern India and was found there by
Alexander's troops around 325 BCE.  They may have introduced it into the
Euphrates Valley or it may have been introduced their earlier.  Cane was not
introduced into Europe until the Islamic expansion.  AFAIK, refining did not
arrive in Europe until then.  There is some argument as to whether cane
originated in Polynesia and moved to Asia or vice versa.

The sugar beet is a 19th Century hybrid of the Silesian white beet.
Margraaf described the chemical process for extracting sugar from beets and
carrots in 1747.  The first beet sugar extraction mill was started by Achard
in 1802 and the sugar beet was developed to improve the extraction.

Bear