[Sca-cooks] carb hangover?

Nick Sasso NJSasso at msplaw.com
Wed Nov 27 06:43:10 PST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius"
<adamantius.magister at verizon.net>
> As I understand it (and bearing in mind I'm not a doctor), what
> happens when you eat a lot of carbohydrates -- processed ones,
> especially, like polished white rice, white wheat flour, sugar,
etc.,
> ones which can put a lot of sugar into your bloodstream relatively
> quickly -- is that in response, your body creates a lot of insulin
<SNIP>

> It's more or less the same phenomenon that causes one to fall asleep
> in front of a football game a couple of hours after finishing a
> high-carbohydrate Thanksgiving dinner, with rice, stuffing, two
kinds
> of potatoes, white and sweet, several kinds of pie, much of it
> augmented with some form of sugar...

The hangover would be the rebound from the insulin "coma" (it's NOT a
coma . . . hyperbole alert).  I feel similar to an alcohol hangover:
dehydrated, low grade headache, stomah unsettled, hard to feel rested.
IT is the damndest thing I've ever seen.  It has been more obvious to me
in recent years as I've curbed excess carbs and processed sugars
especially.  If baseline insulin is lower, then I suspect hangover more
likely or noticeable . . . just like a 4 beer binge after not drinking
for a few months.

pacem et bonum,
niccolo difrancesco