[Sca-cooks] OOP - Green beans was Turkey, again!

P. A. Stonnell hlisobel at shaw.ca
Wed Nov 27 23:46:50 PST 2002

And it must be a reginal thing because the first time I read about it was on
this list a year or two ago.

Now, admittily, being Canadian, and having 3 grandparents from England, we do
things a little different, but I think it is all so a west coast thing (I'm
in Vancouver, British Columbia).

Our traditional holiday dinner is:

Turkey with bread stuffing (we have now added a rice stuffing as well, my
sister-
in-law can't eat gluten, has that medical condition that I can't spell)
Mashed potatoes
Bashed neeps (carrots and rutabaga mashed together, but my grandparents
called them
turnips)
Brussels sprouts
Gravey
Cranberry sauce, both kinds of canned
pickles - dill, gerkins, onion

At thanksgiving desert is pumkin pie with whipped cream, Christmas its
mincemeat pie with
whipped cream, steamed fruit pudding with either hard sauce or lemon sauce
(depende on
which grandmother was hosting), fruit cake, shortbread and gingerbread men.

In recent years, we have added things like a sweet potato dish (my
step-father likes it),
a ham as well as the turkey (not sure where that came from and we don't
always do it),
green salad (mom was trying to be more healthy) and my home made cranberry
sauce which is
different every year and is served as well as the canned.

However, time and age is catching up with my mother and step-father and it
usually my sister
who does the big sit down turkey dinner thing.  Mom does what my
nephew-in-law calls the
great pork fest on Boxing Day instead.  It's a buffet brunch consisting of
rice flour waffles (step-father got a waffle iron for Christmas one year,
loves it), bacon, ham, pork sausages,
jazzed up hash browns (the square type with onion, cheese, and sour cream,
baked in the oven), salad, fruit salad, pouched eggs or scambled eggs,
buns, bread, pickles, juices, mince pies
with whipped cream (have lots of that around, for the waffles and the fruit
salad as well as
the pie), and cookies.  And what ever any of us want to bring.  Open ended
invite, start
serving around 11am, finish sometime in the afternoon with people coming
and going and kids
all over the place and we never know how many.

But some how my mother seems to think it is less work for her, I think is
because my
step-father does more of the work when it is breakfast type food.

To all the Americans - have a happy and safe holiday

Isobel fitz Gilbert

ps, re the hamburger thing.  You are all wrong, the best hamburgers are
White Spot burgers
with triple o sauce.