[Sca-cooks] full of baloney

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Thu Nov 28 06:36:18 PST 2002

In a message dated 11/27/2002 6:32:57 PM Eastern Standard Time,
mdcarey at compuserve.com writes:

> What
> exactly, does the Lebanon version look like?

About 3 inches diameter, smaller than your average sandwich slice but not as
small as pepperoni, in a straight stick/roll/whatever you want to call it.
It has a somewhat dry texture and is stated by the makers to be rather lower
in fat than one might expect.  It is a very dark brown or occasionally dark
red brown with white flecks.   We also have something called "ring bologna"
which is sold in the ring form, but is lighter in color, moister, and softer
than Lebanon bologna.

While ring bologna often receives the "chunked on a cheese tray" treatment,
Lebanon bologna is usually only seen in thin slices, either in a sandwich or
spread with cream cheese and rolled up (we've been known to use these as
"fighter snacks" at times.

>  And by the way, there is a Lebanon in Ohio, and ISTR that
> there is a meat plant thereabouts, so Stefan might be right after
> all.

Well, I guess that depends on if they make a similar product and call it
Lebanon bologna, I guess.  We know our people here in Lebanon, PA do, but a
meat plant does nt necessarily imply that they even make sausage-type items -
could be slabs o' meat only.

Brangwayna