[Sca-cooks] No wheat/no dairy

Liadan Liadan at sbcglobal.net
Thu Nov 28 09:01:45 PST 2002

Maire,

I stew a 3 to 4 pound chicken with onion, celery and garlic. Strain the
broth and save. Debone the chicken and cut into large dice.  Measure the
broth. In a heavy pot, melt 1/2 stick of butter, add some chopped onion,
sliced celery, a clove of minced garlic, diced bell pepper and 4 oz of
sliced fresh mushrooms.  When the vegetables are wilted, add 1/2 the
amount of broth in rice, and stir until the rice is coated with the pan
drippings. Add the broth, cover and cook over low heat until the rice is
cooked.  Stir in the chicken.  Divide up into casserole dishes,
depending on how much will be served at one time.  Add some finely
chopped carrots or some frozen peas to the vegetables for additional
color/flavor.  And leave out anything your friend may not like (some
folks don't like the bell peppers).

The local grocery carries rice-based pastas, including lasagna noodles.
I wonder about some of the recipes calling for cream-based sauces.
Perhaps using soy or almond milk?

Liadan