[Sca-cooks] OOP - Green beans was Turkey, again!

P. A. Stonnell hlisobel at shaw.ca
Thu Nov 28 21:45:29 PST 2002

At 02:25 PM 28/11/02 +0000, you wrote:
>>jazzed up hash browns (the square type with onion, cheese, and sour cream,
>>baked in the oven),
>>
>Sound great.  Recipe please.

One bag frozen hash browns (the square bits type).  Mix in chopped onion,
how ever much you have or like.  Add enough sour cream to make everything
cling together (depends on how much onion). Spread in baking pan (we use
an 8 X 17 pyrex), cover top with grated cheese (chedder is good) and pop
in an 350F oven until the cheese had melted and the potatoes are cooked,
about 15 - 20 minutes? depends on how long the hash browns have been out
of the freezer.  That's the closest I can come to a recipe, its something
my sister learnt somewhere and passed to the rest of us by bringing it
to a few brunches.

>>To all the Americans - have a happy and safe holiday
>>
>To all the Canadians too.  And everyone else who has some celebration this
>weekend, be it with turkey or lights.
>
>>Isobel fitz Gilbert
>>
>>ps, re the hamburger thing.  You are all wrong, the best hamburgers are
>>White Spot burgers with triple o sauce.
>>
>Triple o sauce??

House sauce.  I was told once it's mayo mixed with something else, sort of
a pale
pink.  Back in the 20's or 30's when they first opened as drive-ins
(complete with
car hops and this great tray that reached from the drivers window to the
passenger
side), people who really liked the sauce would ask for extra on their
burgers and
as a sort of shorthand on the order pad, they would just draw three o's,
and then
they started referring to that as triple o, and customers heard and started
doing
it, and now, that's what its called on the menue.  The car hops and trays
are gone,
and they are going a little up scale with steaks and pacific coast asian
fusion,
but they still have the burgers on the menue and they do take out.

Do a good chared chicken too.  And one of the few places here that has
bosenberry
pie.  When my father was living on Grand Cayman Island, we would go there
for the
pie, or buy a whole one to take home, the visit was not complete without it.

Isobel