[Sca-cooks] Re: Time fantasy article/wedgies

Avraham haRofeh goldberg at bestweb.net
Fri Nov 29 04:54:43 PST 2002

> I've got to ask...although I never thought my first post to this list
> would be about underpants gone feral.
>
> Johnnae llyn Lewis  Johnna Holloway
> wrote
> >
> > While out shopping at 8 am this morning to avoid crowds later,
> > I noticed that the Dec 2nd issue of Time magazine was devoted to the new
> > Two Towers movie.
> >

> On reading the Time article, I came across the following sentence:
>
> "Tolkien inspired an American insurance salesman named Gary Gygax to
> quit his job and create Dungeons and Dragons, the fantasy role-playing
> game that launched a million junior high school wedgies."
>
> Does 'wedgies' mean the same in the US that it does here?

Probably. The implication here is that anyone who played D&D was a
dweeb/nerd/geek who was therefore subject to getting wedgies from every
bully in town.

For those who've been under The Rock forever and ever, a wedgie is when some
mean kid reaches into the back of your pants, grabs the waistband of your
underwear and yanks as hard as possible.

Avraham

PS I do NOT know about this from experience.

Avraham haRofeh of Northpass
     (mka Randy Goldberg MD)
RandomTag: Nobody knows I'm gay.

---