[Sca-cooks] Pickles

Marilyn Traber marilyn.traber.jsfm at statefarm.com
Tue Oct 1 05:49:38 PDT 2002

Stefan, refrigerator pickles aren't pickles per se. Rzther than depend on
long brining and heating to kill any detrimental beasties, fridge pickles
use the brine as flavoring and use frigeration for safety. Freezer jams use
the cell-destruction factor of freezing to do the mush/dissolve thing rather
than long cooking, followed by refrigeration for safety.

The advantage to these recipes? Only to somebody who doesn't like to cook,
or doesn't want to bother with a long process. I know that proper preserving
isn't difficult or overly time consuming if you know what you are doing and
are relatively organized. These shortcuts are for people who want to make
things themselves but are nervous or worried about the results [many people
nowdays can barely follow a standard cookbook. Oy!]
margali

the quote starts here:
I'm not sure why you wish to freeze it, or even refrigerate it. Most

likely freezing it will change the texture. And since pickling is a
preservative method, I'm not sure why you need to pickle and do either
of these other two, espcially if the item is unopened.
When you say "The Fannie Farmer cookbook I have says that you can freeze
pickles.", do you mean freeze any pickled food? Or specifically
pickled cucumbers, often thought of by many Americans as the only
thing pickled. (Hey, I did before I joined this list)