[Sca-cooks] online translations aren't

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Tue Oct 1 06:10:31 PDT 2002

> Testament, even if she's not exactly *in* there, or that Persian queen
> (whose name escapes me at the moment, darnit) who refused the command of
> her husband, and got supplanted by that perfect Jewish girl who used the
> position to save her people?

The queen who didn't come to be displayed before the King's drinking
companions would be Vashti. (Note that the text explicitly says that she
is to be removed from her position because others might follow her
example:
""For the queen's conduct will become known to all the women causing them
to look with contempt on their husbands by saying, 'King Ahasuerus
commanded Queen Vashti to be brought in to his presence, but she did not
come.'
"This day the ladies of Persia and Media who have heard of the queen's
conduct will speak in the same way to all the king's princes, and there
will be plenty of contempt and anger."

Esther 1:17-18 (New American Standard)

*grin*

Ob Food content: there is some description of the banquet involved:

Esther 1:2
in those days as King Ahasuerus sat on his royal throne which was at the
citadel in Susa,

Esther 1:3
in the third year of his reign he gave a banquet for all his princes and
attendants, the army officers of Persia and Media, the nobles and the
princes of his provinces being in his presence.

Esther 1:4
And he displayed the riches of his royal glory and the splendor of his
great majesty for many days, 180 days.

Esther 1:5
When these days were completed, the king gave a banquet lasting seven days
for all the people who were present at the citadel in Susa, from the
greatest to the least, in the court of the garden of the king's palace.

Esther 1:6
There were hangings of fine white and violet linen held by cords of fine
purple linen on silver rings and marble columns, and couches of gold and
silver on a mosaic pavement of porphyry, marble, mother-of-pearl and
precious stones.

Esther 1:7
Drinks were served in golden vessels of various kinds, and the royal wine
was plentiful according to the king's bounty.

Esther 1:8
The drinking was done according to the law, there was no compulsion, for
so the king had given orders to each official of his household that he
should do according to the desires of each person.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa
"I didn't gnaw my way to the top of the food chain to have to put up with
meat machismo, boyo."