[Sca-cooks] New Zealand/Australia:food advice

Jones, Craig Craig.Jones at airservices.gov.au
Tue Oct 1 15:16:43 PDT 2002

I finally had time today to research this question.
I am unsure which episode of Good Eats you saw but
 I searched Alton Brown's recipes from Food TV and
found these under pickles. "Kinda Sorta Sours"  and
"Ab's B and B's" are cucumber pickles that are
refrigerated not frozen after they are made. Likewise,
 "Hurry Curry Cauliflower," "Summer Fruits," "Firecrackers
 (made with carrots)," "Island Ceviche with Pickled Onions,"
 all call for refrigeration, not freezing. (Salmon Turnovers
 turns up in the search because the recipe calls for pickle
 relish and the recipe for Country Ham turns up because
 it calls for pickle juice.)

I am unsure how you got from refrigeration to freezing. None of the
recipes say anything about freezing. Pickles are judged by
the snap or crunch; freezing would destroy the texture.

I would suggest that you might want to buy a book and read about
pickles and canning before you start your adventures in pickling.
A very inexpensive and basic guide is Ball Blue Book Guide to
Home Canning, Freezing, & Dehydration in paperback. Another
source is to check out the section at your public library or contact
your local home extension service for more guidelines and easy recipes.

Hope this helps.

Johnna Holloway  Johnnae llyn Lewis