[Sca-cooks] Pre-14th c. Cookbooks

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 10 19:07:38 PDT 2002

I don't recall who wrote:
>  Can anyone point me in the direction of, or send me recipes, etc from
>  1250 or before?  I somehow have the feeling there isn't going to be
>  much outside of the Andelusian book but I thought I would ask.

This probably won't be much help, but quite a few recipes in David
Waines' "In a Caliph's Kitchen" are from a 10th century cookbook that
was a compendium of recipes, some from several 9th century cook
books. According to His Grace Cariadoc, Charles Perry is working on
his own translation of this, but, well, i s'pect it'll be a long wait
for it to be published.

Waines' book is damned hard to find. I finally ILL'd it, but the
librarian said there were very few copies available to ILL. And when
i got it, i photocopied it. Yeah, yeah, i violated copyright law, but
i've been searching for a copy to purchase for several years and have
yet to find one. And there are no copies of it around here.

These early recipes are Abbasid dynasty (Syrian and Iraqi Arab) and
Persian. Sounds like they would go well with the "Crusaders' Bible" -
i've got a copy of that somewhere (still not all unpacked after 6
months).

I'm willing to type some out, if you like. (the Bustaniyya - Lamb and
Chicken with pears and peaches - was one of them)

Anahita