[Sca-cooks] Sourdough -- Herman rides again

Mon Oct 14 07:17:51 PDT 2002

Two years after subjecting him to the cryogenic depths of the refrigerator
freezer, Herman has returned to bubble on the counter.

After allowing the starter to come to room temperature, I turned the plastic
storage bag inside out in a couple of cups of tepid water, broke the starter
apart and recovered most of what was in the bag.  I stirred in four cups of
flour, covered the bowl and let it stand.  It took about a day to reactivate
and was then fed twice daily.

The starter was used to produce four dozen rolls for the Baroness's Lunch at
Protectorate last weekend.  The result was a little dense and chewy, but
acceptable.  The flavor had a moderate sour tang which went well with the
meat and mustard.  I need to experiment with rising times and baking
temperatures for this incarnation of Herman, so I may be commenting on
various sourdough recipes over the next few months.

A couple of cups of Herman went back into cryogenic sleep just in case I
need to reincarnate him again.

Bear