[Sca-cooks] paneer recipe OOP

Shannon Malone thegoatinthegarden at lycos.com
Mon Oct 14 07:35:58 PDT 2002

And Bear asked:
>Never come across it.  Got the recipes to post?

This recipe is a dessert paneer and it came out of _Food Heritage of India_ by Vimla Patil who, if her bio in the book is to be believed, is some kind of Indian Martha Stewart.  It was published by Vakils, Feffer and Simons LTD, Bombay, in 1990.

Meadhbh/Shannon

I've never tried this recipe, but I'm going to soon:

Paneer ki Kheer (cottage cheese sweet)

6 c milk
1 tbs curds
1 tsp cardamom powder
1 small tin condensed milk
10 almonds, chopped

- Boil 2 cups of milk.  Add the curds while the milk is warm and stir well. Stir till it curdles.  Tie up in a piece of muslin till all water has drained off.

-Put the paneer under a weight to flatten.

-Simmer remaining milk till it is creamy.  Add condensed milk and stir well.  Cool thoroughly.

-Make small diamond shaped pieces of the paneer and put into the milk.  Stir gently so that the paneer pieces do not break.  Chill completely.

-Flavour with cardamom powder and serve garnished with chopped almonds in individual bowls.