[Sca-cooks] "Caviar" by Inga Saffron?

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Oct 16 18:14:29 PDT 2002

I just saw this in the Jessica's Biscuit email flyer I received today:

> Caviar: The Strange History and Uncertain Future of the World's Most
> Coveted Delicacy
> By Inga Saffron
> http://www.ecookbooks.com/products.html?item=03569
>
> Jessica's Biscuit Price: $16.76
> Retail Price: $23.95
> You Save: 30%
>
> In the tradition of "Cod" and "Olives": a fascinating journey into the
> hidden history, culture, and commerce of caviar.  Once merely a substitute
> for meat, today caviar is a symbol of luxury, wealth and status.  In
> "Caviar", Ms. Saffron explores the art, science, and lore of the sturgeon
> "roe" with grace and style.  Filled with, lore and intrigue, Caviar is a
> captivating world of culinary, natural, and cultural history.

Since we were recently talking about caviar, I'm wondering if this might
make a reasonable overview of caviar history and perhaps even some information
about caviar or other fish roe in period.

Does anyone have this book or have you seen it? Your opinion of it or the
author? Perhaps this other book, "Olives" might be a good book on olives?

Thanks,
   Stefan