[Sca-cooks] Medieval Arabic Medical Formulary

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 17 13:38:28 PDT 2002

Well, this note is just to let off some good steam. I am so excited.
I just got a book i ordered in the mail:

The Medical Formulary or Aqrabadhin of al-Khindi
trans. Martin Levey

It includes photographs of the original document (which is from
several centuries after al-Khindi) facing each page of translation.

Some of the recipes are even usable (i.e., not poisonous :-),
although i don't know how efficacious they are. I will, however,
avoid using dangerous minerals such as mercury, minium (red lead),
and ceruse (white lead), and natural products such as agaric,
hellebore, and goat or camel dung.

Anahita