[Sca-cooks] Re: Dembinska book/"Food and Drink in Medieval Poland"

Jones, Craig Craig.Jones at airservices.gov.au
Wed Oct 23 23:23:49 PDT 2002

'Lainie asked:
> Hmm. So I wonder- would hte leeches eat the cicara in Drakey's eat? OFC...

No. Not unless the cicada was dead. Even then they might have some
trouble with the shell. Leeches have regained some popularity in
modern medicine because they can be a good way to get rid of dead,
gangrenous tissue without harming the tissue that is still alive.

There is a good book on these treatments and others, including some
medieval ones such as bloodletting that once again have become useful in
restricted cases. I think it may be mentioned in my p-medicine-msg file, but I
don't remember for sure.
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas         StefanliRous at austin.rr.com