[Sca-cooks] tortilla presses

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Oct 23 23:43:00 PDT 2002

Mirhaxa asked:
> On Wed, 23 Oct 2002 jenne at fiedlerfamily.net wrote:
>> The only reason I suggest not doing this is that I find it wastes a lot of
>> cheese, and people eat about 3 of these each. That's 2100 pasties. Depends
>> on the size of your cook's guild, I guess.
>
> Has anyone ever tried using a tortilla press with pie dough to make the
> pastie pastry circle? Or do you do triangular shapes?

Have you seen a tortilla press with a ridge around the outside? The
ones I've looked at or bought didn't have one. They are meant to take
a round ball of dough and squish it into the flat round shape. Not
cut it out of a sheet of dough. Or am I mis-interpretting your
comments and you are thinking of using the tortilla press to press
rather than cut out the shapes?

If you want to cut out the shapes, I would recommend rolling the dough out

flat and then cutting it out using a can with one or both ends cut off or
something similar.
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas         StefanliRous at austin.rr.com