[Sca-cooks] Re: Sca-cooks digest, Vol 1 #2656 - 17 msgs

Marcus Loidolt mjloidolt at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 26 08:52:23 PDT 2002

It is also important to realize that the local bishop
had/has great powers in modifying the fast and its
strictures. Local feasts may have a one day prior
vigil fast before the feast. Likewise before the Great
Schism and even before, not all Saints days were
universal, one
might have quite a variation on non-ordinary days of
fast.

Wednesday and Friday have been standard for a LOOONG
TIME!! and the three great fasts of the church year,
Lent, Dormition, and Advent all go back well beyound
the 4th century.

Some of the other days were observed according to the
usage of that particular place.

Interesting to note that fasting was PROHIBITED on all
Sundays of the year, and the fifty days between
Pascha, and Pentecost(the whole season on the
resurrection)
Goes to show how important the church saw the
understanding of that event.

Johann von Metten, OL
medieval poultry and monastic studies

>   11. Re: European Fast Days? (LyAngharad at aol.com)

> Message: 4
> Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 23:52:40 -0400
> From: A F Murphy <afmmurphy at earthlink.net>
> To: sca-cooks at ansteorra.org
> Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] European Fast Days?
>
> This sounds Eastern Orthodox to me. Partly some of
> the holidays
> mentioned, partly the reference to "fish, oil and
> wine."
>
> I looked at the entry, and it does indeed come right
> after a discussion
> of fasting in the Greek church influencing the West,
> but I thought it
> was unclear.
>
> Now, it is good to see references to the Orthodox
> Churches, as so much
> about the Middle Ages pretty much ignores them, but
> I don't know how
> much might be the same, and how much might be
> different, in the Latin Rite.
>
> Anne

=====
www.geocities.com/mjloidolt/marcus_page.html
"Let Charity be your hallmark and model for all you do,
if it is not loving, don't do it, it it is loving,
let nothing stop you from doing whatever is needed!"
(St. John Neumann)
"Have no fear or doubt anything and everything you give in this life will be paid back ahundred fold in the next"