[Sca-cooks] Rose Sugar containers

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Oct 29 20:58:00 PST 2002

Alys Katharine said:
> Greetings.  A rose sugar recipe from "Naturen Bloeme" (Flower of
> nature), 1265-1270, printed in Vol.20 of PPC:
> "Rose sugar (suker rosaet) is made in the following way: rose petals
> that have been rubbed fine with sugar are put in a glass jar and
> left in the sun for 30 days; the contents must be stirred daily; the
> jar must be well sealed and it will remain good for three years."

Hmmm, "the jar must be well sealed". I assume this is probably
referring to a ceramic/pottery jar with a pottery lid since cork
doesn't appear to have been used then. Or would this have been a
wooden lid? I'm assuming what we would consider a "wide-mouth" jar,
but perhaps not. Either way, how would they have sealed it? The
lid was tight fitting in the ceramic jar? I doubt this since to do
this the lid and jar mouth need to be pretty regular and symmetric.
Would they have sealed the lid with wax or sealing wax? grease?

    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas         StefanliRous at austin.rr.com