[Sca-cooks] RE: Sodding

Robyn.Hodgkin at affa.gov.au Robyn.Hodgkin at affa.gov.au
Wed Oct 30 15:59:09 PST 2002

If it is any comfort Cecily, most Australians probably wouldn't really consider "sodding" to be a swear word at all, and I reckon more than a few would think its etymology was from "sod" (clump of dirt) rather than anything more... in depth.

Your daughter could claim that this was the etymology if anyone asked her what sodding meant. Certainly we wouldn't hesitate in saying publicly to someone in Drakey's current colourful circumstances: "You poor sod, what are you going to do now?"

But then, we are also happy enough to say to a friend admiringly " you randy bugger!" when they 'get lucky', so you do have to worry about us Aussies...

Kiriel