[Sca-cooks] RE: Sodding

Patricia Collum pjc2 at cox.net
Wed Oct 30 16:48:54 PST 2002

Thanks!

Cecily
----- Original Message -----
From: <Robyn.Hodgkin at affa.gov.au>
To: <sca-cooks at ansteorra.org>
Sent: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 4:59 PM
Subject: [Sca-cooks] RE: Sodding

If it is any comfort Cecily, most Australians probably wouldn't really
consider "sodding" to be a swear word at all, and I reckon more than a few
would think its etymology was from "sod" (clump of dirt) rather than
anything more... in depth.

Your daughter could claim that this was the etymology if anyone asked her
what sodding meant. Certainly we wouldn't hesitate in saying publicly to
someone in Drakey's current colourful circumstances: "You poor sod, what are
you going to do now?"

But then, we are also happy enough to say to a friend admiringly " you randy
bugger!" when they 'get lucky', so you do have to worry about us Aussies...

Kiriel