[Sca-cooks] Re: [Sca-cook=?ISO-8859-1?B?c10gQ3LobWUgRnJh7g==?=che question

lcm at efn.org lcm at efn.org
Thu Oct 3 11:23:24 PDT 2002

Quoting "Martin G. Diehl" <mdiehl at nac.net>:

> Greetings,
>
> I need 2 cups of Crème Fraîche for a dish that I will
> be making this Saturday.
>
> I can't find Crème Fraîche locally, but did find 2
> methods on the net.
>
> Any comments on these?  Will they work?

I know it is heretical in some circles, but... as I don't have access to real
French creme fraiche, I have found that a blend of 1 part heavy whipping cream
to 1 part decent sour cream (in my neck of teh woods Nancy's is the best), well
whisked together, and left to ripen, works. And it's cheaper than plane tickets
to Paris.

IIRC, creme fraiche has a specific beastie that is similar to sour cream but not
quite the same stuff. Maybe when Muirdeach gets back he can tell us...

Oh man... creme fraiche on fresh fruit... now I'm hungry!

'Lainie