[Sca-cooks] Crème Fraîche question

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Thu Oct 3 09:10:52 PDT 2002

Also sprach Martin G. Diehl:
>Greetings,
>
>I need 2 cups of Crème Fraîche for a dish that I will
>be making this Saturday.
>
>I can't find Crème Fraîche locally, but did find 2
>methods on the net.
>
>Any comments on these?  Will they work?

I generally use a variant of method 2 (the one that calls for
unwhipped cream and buttermilk), only using sour cream instead of
buttermilk (James Beard's variant, as I recall). Sometimes it takes
more like 12 hours, but yes, it works. Creme fraiche tastes somewhat
like sour cream, but seems to have characteristically larger
fermentation bubbles than whipped cream, and it a bit looser,
generally (depending on how stiff you whip your cream).

No, you cannot whip sour cream to get the same effect; you run danger
of simply having sour butter (not a bad thing, but not necessarily
what you're after).

Adamantius

>Crème Fraîche
>
>1 part sour cream
>2 parts whipped cream
>
>Mix together thoroughly and leave in room temperature
>for 5-6 hours to thicken. When the Crème Fraîche has
>thickened, place it in the fridge and it should be
>usable for about 10 days.
>
>Crème Fraîche
>
>1 cup heavy cream
>3 tablespoons buttermilk
>
>Combine heavy cream and buttermilk in a jar. Mix with
>a spoon, but do not shake. Close jar. Allow mixture to
>sit at room temperature until cream is consistency of
>loose gelatin. This can be anywhere from 6 to 24 hours,
>depending on how warm your kitchen is. At this point,
>refrigerate 6 hours before using.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>I am,
>Vincenzo Martino Mazza,