[Sca-cooks] Re: [Sca-cooks]Flamingos in period...

kattratt kattratt at charter.net
Sat Oct 5 19:46:43 PDT 2002

To asnwer the original question that has since been deleted from my
computer...

Yes flamingos are period.  The "Greater Flamingo" is the closest
relative that we have modern day... This is the Creme Colored flamingo.
 The ones native to Europe (Italy) are this form.   The pink flamingos
are from South America I believe... didn't research those once they were
seen to be new world...
However excellent proof of the periodocity of flamingos is found in the
recipe book by our good friend Apicius... where we get the recipe for
Broiled? Is it? Or Roasted? Flamingo.  I have the recipe somewhere as it
is what I use when someone asks me about flamingos... (I built my Rapier
Armor with a Flamingo theme.) It is creme with pink gold and black trim.
 I am working on stone working my Pink Flamingoes for some camp decor.
 As well as painting my flamingo table Creme in Color.
See there were to many peacocks in our area so I chose another bird......
Nichola