[Sca-cooks] Payn Purdew

Isabella di Giovanni isabella_di_giovanni at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 7 19:27:25 PDT 2002

Mi Lady, I can not imagine what could have won over yours. With 5 platters gone, sounds like 'populous choice' to me.
Isabella
 "Pat \"Mordonna\" Griffin" wrote:--

Atenvledt's Kingdom Archery Championship was today. We had a just-for-fun-populous-choice A&S competition. The theme was Breakfast/Brunch at War. The only requirement was that the item be cooked on site. I did not win, perhaps because my entry was so simple.

It seems no Medieval recipe book was complete without a recipe for
this simple dish, whether it be called Pain Perdu, Payn Purdew, or
Lost Bread. I found the recipe I used for today's competition in
Pleyn Delit by Constance Hieatt, Brenda Hosington, and Sharon
Butler. This recipe comes from the Harlein 279 manuscript as
reproduced in Thomas Austin's "Two Fifteenth-Century Cookery-Books".
The (z) represents a yogh, and the (th) represents a thorn, letters
not found on my keyboard.

"Payn Purdew
Take fayre (z)olkes of eyroun & trye hem fro the whyte, & draw hem
(th)orw a straynoure, % take salt and caste (th)erto; (th)an take
fayre brede & kutte it as trounde(z) rounde; (th)an take fayre boter
(th)at is claryfied, or elles fayre freysshe grece, & putte it on a
potte, and make it hote; (th)an take (th)e panne, and so frye hem
uppe; but ware of clevying to the panne; & whan it is fryid, ley hem
on a dysshe, & ley sugre ynow (th)eron, & serve it forth HARL
279.2.44"

My redaction? Simple as can be:
4 whole eggs
8 slices bread
butter
Powdered sugar

Melt 1 TBS. butter in large frying pan over med-low fire. Allow it
to start to turn brown. Meanwhile, beat eggs in large bowl with a
whisk. Dip bread in the eggs and place in the pan. Brown on both
sides. Arrange on a platter and sprinkle with sugar. Repeat until
all the bread is used. Serve hot. Set a container of honey out for
those who just have to have "syrup" on their "French Toast". I don't
know how many this feeds, as it's hard to keep count when there are
so many hands grabbing it up as fast as it comes off the fire. I
made five platters of this for the competition, and there was NONE
left. I left out the salt, because I used salted butter. I used
whole eggs because I've found that egg yolks alone tend to burn
faster (and smell absolutely horrid when they do.)

Mordonna