[Sca-cooks] Verjus replacement

Patricia Collum pjc2 at cox.net
Mon Oct 7 22:43:00 PDT 2002

Tonight the cooks guild I belong to redacted the recipe for Bruet of Egges
to Potage from Pleyn Delight. Each of three of us did our own version of
this egg/cheese/verjus soup. I needed a substitute for verjus and I wanted
to use white grape juice and white wine vinegar, but for this trial I didn't
want to have to buy a half gallon or more of white grape juice. I was just
about to give up and use all vinegar or lemon juice, when I thought of using
baby juice. A two ounce bottle was just enough to make two different 2 cup
trial versions using 2 different cheeses. I tried brie, my daughter used
cheddar and the other member of the group tried gouda. All versions were
flavorful, but most of the testers preferred the stronger flavored cheeses.

Cecily