[Sca-cooks] pizza OOP

Jeff Gedney Gedney1 at iconn.net
Wed Oct 9 12:36:30 PDT 2002

>    anyone know if all pizza has a layer of grease on top?

It depends on the amount of fat or oil in the cheese, sauce, and, if
present, meat.

Some cooks use olive oil in the sauce, and this contributes to the overall
greasiness of the pizza. Tomato colors will concentrate in the olive oil, to
casting a faint orange color to the grease

>    does pepperoni change colour much or at all when cooked?

The base color tends to darken and turn more umber, as it dries and then
carbonizes.
This is acccelerated if the Pepperoni is lain on top of the cheese.
Note that the fat from pepperoni has a distinct red color, and the redder
fat may be visible on the cheese immediately touching the pepperoni.

>    is the cheese always cheese colour or does it sometimes get burn spots?

Definitely should get some brown spots, and these are usually bubbly.

>    does glyceryn take colouring?

I think so.

>    how much glyceryn is too much?

When it looks like you want to wipe it off with a napkin.
Pizza should not have pools of grease on top, but it should be at least kind
of shiney. Some people like it real cardivascular, I am one of them, as a
lot of the flavor collects in the fat. My wife insists on wiping the stuff
off.
As you eat it the fat gathers (cause you fold it to eat it ) and drips off
the back in reddish but clear drops on the plate ( and down the arm, on
fingers, yum )

>    I know in the end I shall have to come uncomfortably close to the real
>    thing, but for now I prefer to keep my distance.
>
>    You guys are gonna wish I had my camera if this works out...

Sheesh, Olwen, SOMEBODY in Brite Hills should have a camera, can't you
borrow one?

brandu