[Sca-cooks] pizza OOP

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Wed Oct 9 13:18:57 PDT 2002

On Wed, 9 Oct 2002, Olwen the Odd wrote:

> Alright.  Thanks.  I was looking at some pizza (pepperoni) through a window
> when I went out for lunch today.  I was revolting but because I couldn't
> smell it I didn't seem to suffer the gag reaction.  The grease puddled on
> top seems to look orange to me.  Would that be correct?  And the pepperoni
> does seem to look lots different than I imagined.  Browner rather than
> redder and not as much white fat showing.  Anyone know how long I can keep a
> piece of cooked pepperoni before it morphs into something different looking?
>   It seems this project would just be a lot simpler if I could stand being
> around pizza.  It's kinda like the blind men and the elephant, isn't it?
> Olwen

Considering how long my husband has been known to leave leftover pizza in
the fridge, at least a week, probably two. Maybe as long as a month.
Commercial pepperoni is so full of preservatives that I don't know if it
even qualifies as organic anymore.

The grease is more orange when pepperoni is involved, yes. Kind of the
same color as tomato oil but not quite.

As for glycerine, yes it will take color. I'd use paste color, a teeny bit
at a time, and hold it over white paper in a clear container to see your
color change.

Margaret