Pepperoni was Re: [Sca-cooks] another wedding feast for Aethelwulf-

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Wed Oct 9 17:07:39 PDT 2002

Also sprach Susan Fox-Davis:
>I don't know how you have missed pepperoni all these years.  It's basically a
>sausage, sliced thinly and placed on a pizza before baking so it melts in and
>the spices from the pepperoni dissolve and merge with the cheese.  Round cross
>sections, mostly reddish-brown, maybe flecks of white here and there.

It's pretty similar to Genoa Salami (maybe slightly finer grind in
some forms) with enough ground red pepper, something along the lines
of hot paprika, to make it red and moderately spicy/hot. Some modern,
industrially-produced pepperoni has oleoresin of paprika added,
which, inexplicably, gives it a slight licorice flavor in addition to
the capsicum heat and flavor. Usually served thinly sliced, like
salami, and not always just on pizza, and it has a smaller
cross-section than most salami.

Adamantius
deserves to be called a scholar."
	-DONALD FOSTER