[Sca-cooks] pizza OOP

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 10 16:49:57 PDT 2002

I dunno what kinda pizza you're all eating, but while i LOVE pizza, a
pizza awash in grease is revolting (although it doesn't effect me
like it does Olwen, and if i'm hungry i'll eat one if i'm with other
folks who ordered that sort).

Some of that excess of grease comes from an excess of cheese, but
most of the grease comes from an excess of fatty meat.

I almost never have pizza with meat. The crappy pepperoni that goes
onto most pizza is appalling, and the thought of gristly sausage on
there too is just awful, although i have had a Cajun Andouille
sausage pizza a time or two. 'Course, i'm in California and i eat
that weird California pizza stuff...

My daughter and i most often have deep dish spinach mushroom pizza.
It has tomato sauce against the crust, tasty herbs and garlic, the
vegetables, and a sprinkling of cheese. No grease.

Another one of my favorites is thin sliced new potatoes with pesto,
fresh basil, red onions, and mozarella. Yes, there's olive oil in the
pesto, but no floating grease (called variously Mr. Pestato Head or
Potesto, by various local pizzerias).

Another favorite has spinach, artichoke hearts, sun dried tomatoes,
kalamata olives, feta, basil, and mozzarella. No grease.

Of course, sometimes i long for lots of cheese, so i get one that has
fontina, gorgonzola, and mozzarella, walnuts, and fresh sage, with a
little tomato sauce. It still isn't awash in grease.

Of course, since i'm a food snob AND politically i prefer to support
my local businesses rather than large chains, i don't order pizza
from Round Table, Pizza Hut, or Dominos, but from local pizzerias.

Anahita