[Sca-cooks] making cheese at events/period cooking thermometers

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 11 11:38:13 PDT 2002

Stefan wrote:
>  If anyone has tried to make cheese at an event, please drop me a line.

A young woman in my kingdom named Eibhlin has been teaching cheese
making classes for the past 1-1/2 years. Since it's rather difficult
to make even a fresh soft spreadable cheese in a 2 hour class, she
makes the cheese at home for us to taste, although we go through the
process at the event (it takes many hours to press out the whey).

Additionally, most our Kingdom events are weekend-long camping outs,
and she says that cheese she makes at a camping event usually fails.
However, she has made some excellent cheeses at home.

She made an emmanthaler recently and we got to taste it at a small
Barony A&S (baronies are not a big thing in our Kingdom). It was
quite good. A friend of mine who attended the class bought some
emmanthaler at the store, thinking it would be similar. She ended up
giving it away.

I'm hoping to make cheese for a small (50 people) feast (for a local
SCA College) in March 2003. I'll make the cheese at home, though. The
theme is Italian...

Anyone know some resources for "period" Italian cheese?

Anahita