[Sca-cooks] OOP, OT - Macintosh

Bonne de Traquair oftraquair at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 14 12:12:35 PDT 2002

I recall news reports of a small sandwich shop run by a MacDonald and harrassed by McDonalds USA receiving legal assistance from the Laird's coffers.  (It may be that this particular case was in Scotland, and/or near enough the Laird's place of business and/or the Mrs. MacDonald in question was of actual close relation not just theoretical relation. But I'm slipping this in on a break at work, and not taking the time to look it up.)
Bonne
 "Decker, Terry D." <TerryD at Health.State.OK.US> wrote:While they have gone after a number of MacDonalds in the British Isles, I
notice Mickey D's hasn't gone after the fine dining establishment run by
Laird MacDonald at the ancestral estate in Scotland. They're very careful
not to take on someone with deep pockets, good lawyers and a definite prior
right of usage. As I recall, none of the people named MacDonald they have
gone after was financially able to take it to court. I suspect MacDonald's
would have a dicey time proving trade name infringement by someone named
MacDonald, especially outside of the U.S.